Moving to another country is not only intimidating, but it can be overwhelming if you do not know what to expect or have the right help. Moving the entire family means that you have to go through the proper channels to immigrate to the new country legally, with the best legal help from an immigration lawyer that understands the immigration system and how families can move to the country with as few obstacles as possible during the transition.

INA or the Immigration and Nationality Act allows U.S. citizens that are legal permanent residents of the US to petition to have their foreign relatives immigrate to the country with them. The process of doing so can be one that is tough to go through, and it might be a long, but it might be worth it to some who want to move their family with them.

What to Know About Bringing Family to the US

In order to bring your family members over to the United States, it is required that you show proof of being a relative of the person. You are their sponsor, and the relationship between the two of you has to be verifiable. You also need to show proof of being a permanent resident or natural citizen within the country. Additionally, you have to show proof of your income and that you can provide financial support for this person that is looking to immigrate to the country. 

There are certain types of citizenships and residents, so it is important to know your status before requesting a family member to come over to sponsor. 

Those who are granted the right to work, live and stay in the US indefinitely may not be a citizen but has a pass to be there, can apply for this type of sponsorship after they apply for citizenship after five years. These residents have specific rules and regulations they have to adhere to when living in the country, and if they do not follow them, they can be deported back to their home country. 

Those who are permanent, legal, natural citizens, or have applied and been approved for citizenship do not have the same rules and regulations. They will be reprimanded the same as other US citizens and not deported.

Citizens That Can Be Sponsored in the US

  • Spouses
  • Children over the age of 21, who are unmarried
  • Children under the age of 21
  • Son or daughter who is married of any age
  • Siblings of the petitioner, as long as the petitioner is 21 or older
  • Parents of the petitioner, as long as the petitioner is 21 or older

The documentation and being able to fulfill the needs and requests required are the responsibility of the petitioner. The information that is given cannot be false, and it has to be checked into beforehand because this is important to do before requesting your family members to come over.

Those who have a spouse or children under the age of 21 are given the highest priority by the government to have come over. The other categories are considered lower, though they are possible to have come over.

Those residents that are lawfully here and permanent, but not citizens are unable to bring other family members over besides their spouse or unmarried children. Citizens are the only ones able to request the other family members to come out. 

Bringing a Fiance Over

Those who have a fiance in another country can have them come out for 90 days under a K-1 visa. If the two become married in the United States within the 90 days, the fiance is then a citizen alongside the sponsor. However, if the two choices or do not get married within this 90 day period, then they have to return back to their home country and they’re unable to stay in the United States.

While this is something that is an option, there are some specific requirements and sometimes follow-ups that are done to ensure that the two are actually getting married and not just for resident status within the country. This is important to keep in mind when applying for a visa and considering marriage.

Legal Permanent Residents and Visas

Instead of bringing over family members permanently through various channels, there are also visas that can be chosen and used during this period to help the family come over sooner. Since the legal permanent resident is not a citizen, they can opt for a V visa. This allows the resident’s spouse and children to immigrate to the United States. 

They will move to the country while everyone waits for the visas to be processed. Certain specifications and requirements are needed in order for these visas to be processed and passed through. The families are then able to stay together while visas and immigration status is being sorted by the government, so you do not have to worry about being separated during the wait times.

There are a number of different visas and immigration options that are available for those who want to move to the United States or move their family members with them. It is important that you know what is available for your particular situation, and which is going to come with the best outcome. 

Contact a Professional Lawyer for Further Help

Sometimes you need more help, especially with matters such as this. This means reaching out to someone who knows visas and immigration laws. The law office of Toland Law, LLC is able to provide more insight and information regarding the immigration that can be done, what is needed to make sure you move your family members in the best way.

With the professionals that understand this process, you just have to speak with them and they can let you know what is required of you, while they prepare and file the paperwork necessary to bring your family back to you. You shouldn’t have to live without them, and they want to make sure you have them sent over in a timely manner. Call them today to learn even more about what is being offered from these law offices. 

Check out our most recent blog post about our most recent blog post: Do I Need to Hire a Boston Criminal Lawyer if I am Charged with a Crime?